Saturday, April 3, 2010

The Whitney Museum

Last Wednesday I went to the Whitney Museum in New York City. Personally i don't really like museums that much . The work in museums always seems so detached and dull, but thankfully I did see some pieces that caught my interest. Pae White's gigantic Mural closeup of smoke was really cool and interesting. The size is what really makes that piece work though, I don't think one would get the same feeling if it was the size of a conventional painting. I'm not sure how White made it, but it seemed to have a topographic-like texture to it.
The favorite piece of the entire museum was Paul Pfeiffer's Fragment of a Crucifixion. It was small projection of a basketball player going nuts after he dunked on some poor soul. I believe that the video was obviously altered in some way because the player is clearly wearing an Orlando Magic uniform but the team logo and player number are gone. Also there are no other players around him, so either they were edited out or the video was taken at a slam dunk contest. I think other players were edited out because there is noticeable blurriness around the player especially when the camera moves. Really fun piece, its a great celebration.

No comments:

Post a Comment